J. Barry Tidwell, CPA, CVA
National Managing Partner
J. Barry Tidwell is the National Managing Partner of Tidwell Group, an INSIDE Public Accounting (IPA) Best of the Best Firm for 2022, 2021, 2019, and 2020. This acknowledgment follows the firm’s Fastest Growing ranking for 2019, 2018, and 2017 respectively. The meteoric trajectory of Tidwell Group is reflective of Barry’s unsurpassed drive for excellence and his dedication to quality accounting and business model sustainability. As part of his leadership at Tidwell Group, Barry is responsible for resource allocation and acquisition, development of talent, and ensuring industry expertise. In addition, one of Barry’s top priorities is providing excellent service to the firm’s valued clients. He is passionate about identifying ways that Tidwell Group can continue to innovate and provide leadership for the firm’s target industries.
Formerly, Barry served as the Managing Principal of the Birmingham Office of Reznick Group, a top 12 accounting firm in the United States. He was also the CEO of Tidwell DeWitt LLC, a regional business advisory and accounting firm, named the fastest-growing accounting firm in the United States by Inside Public Accounting in 2007.
Barry has extensive experience in public accounting and consulting with both regional and local accounting firms. His leadership has been pivotal in the firm’s involvement in joint ventures with international public accounting firms. Barry leads the firm’s National focus and spends his time on capital markets, strategic mergers, tax planning, and transactions with a particular concentration and specialty in the tax credit arena. He works to continually structure mergers and acquisitions to achieve maximum benefit for clients and investors, including consulting in buying and selling GP and LP interests.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a concentration in accounting/marketing, University of Alabama
Professional and Civic Affiliations
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Institute of Business Appraisers
- National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts
- National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts – Past Vice Chair Education and Credentialing Board
- Past Associated Builders & Contractors Legislative Committee
- Past AICPA National Steering Committee for Business Succession Planning
- Professional Advisory Committee, University of Alabama, School of Accountancy
- International Group of Accounting Firms
- Birmingham Chamber of Commerce – Chairman’s Circle