J. Barry Tidwell, CPA, CVA
National Managing Partner
J. Barry Tidwell is the National Managing Partner of Tidwell Group, an INSIDE Public Accounting (IPA) Best of the Best Firm from 2019 through 2023. This acknowledgment follows the firm’s Fastest Growing ranking for 2019, 2018, and 2017 respectively. The meteoric trajectory of Tidwell Group is reflective of Barry’s unsurpassed drive for excellence and his dedication to quality accounting and business model sustainability. As part of his leadership at Tidwell Group, Barry is responsible for resource allocation and acquisition, development of talent, and ensuring industry expertise. In addition, one of Barry’s top priorities is providing excellent service to the firm’s valued clients. He is passionate about identifying ways that Tidwell Group can continue to innovate and provide leadership for the firm’s target industries.
Formerly, Barry served as the Managing Principal of the Birmingham Office of a top 15 accounting firm in the United States. He was also the CEO of Tidwell DeWitt LLC, a regional business advisory and accounting firm, named the fastest-growing accounting firm in the United States by Inside Public Accounting in 2007.
Barry’s growth and focus on the tax credit industry and his leadership has been pivotal in the firm’s success. Barry leads the firm’s National focus and spends his time on capital markets, tax planning, and transactions with a particular concentration and specialty in the tax credit arena. He works to continually structure mergers and acquisitions to achieve maximum benefit for clients and investors, including consulting in buying and selling GP and LP interests.
- Bachelor of Science in Commerce and Business Administration, University of Alabama
- Major: Business Administration
- Concentration: Accounting/Marketing Certification
Certification & Licensure
- CPA – State of Alabama
- CPA – State of Mississippi
- CPA – State of Tennessee
Professional and Civic Affiliations
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Board Member, Alabama Affordable Housing Association (AAHA)
- Counsel Board, Coalition for Affordable & Rural Housing (CARH)
- Member, Georgia Affordable Housing Coalition (GAHC)
- Member, Texas Affiliation of Affordable Housing Providers (TAAHP)
- Member, Mississippi Affordable Housing Coalition
- Member, Affordable Housing Tax Credit Coalition (AHTCC)
- Past Vice Chair Education and Credentialing Board, National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts
- Previously- Professional Advisory Committee, University of Alabama, School of Accountancy