People Behind the Numbers
Kendra Guest – Tax Manager
Tidwell Group continues to spotlight our outstanding accounting professionals in the “People Behind the Numbers.” We are excited to introduce the Affordable Housing industry to Kendra Guest, based out of Tidwell Group’s Birmingham office. Kendra is a Tax Manager with more than 8 years of accounting experience with expertise in tax planning and compliance for multifamily real estate, small business, commercial real estate and construction companies. Through this experience, she has gained extensive knowledge of tax credit programs at the federal and state levels, including low-income housing tax credits.
Kendra goes a great job of balancing her workload and taking the time to help coach and mentor the tax interns during busy season,” said Joel T. McDowell, Birmingham Office Managing Partner. “She never misses a deadline and is committed to providing value-driven results to her clients. Kendra is an asset to the firm and an integral part of the Tidwell Group leadership team.”
We sat down with Kendra to discuss her career development, overcoming challenges in the accounting profession, and why she chose Tidwell Group. We Invite you to hear Kendra’s story and learn more about our People Behind the Numbers.
- Why did you first choose to work at Tidwell Group?
I first chose to work for Tidwell Group full-time because I loved my internship and the culture that the firm had. I received the training I was promised and was given the ability to grow and advance at my own pace. I was able to be challenged and learn on a daily basis from those in higher positions.
- What aspect of your job do you enjoy the most?
I enjoy the department interaction the most. I like to mentor those in staff/senior positions who are just getting into the career and watching them advance to new levels or conquer new concepts. I like working with those higher than me to learn things I have yet so I can continue to be challenged and grow my knowledge.
- What is the toughest accountant problem you’ve tackled? How did you handle it?
Hardest challenge and daily challenge is the shuffling between client expectations and other projects to ensure I am doing my job properly.
- What is one accomplishment at work that you are most proud of?
Working with every Tidwell Tax Intern Group I’ve been a part of training or mentoring and watching them succeed throughout a busy season and then seeing how they each come into their own and their own strengths. Some are interns now are seniors and about to be managers. I love watching them learn and continue in their careers with the firm.
- How has Tidwell Group helped in your career development?
Tidwell Group has always helped with my career development because they’ve never held me back. When I was ready to take on a new responsibility or new task the door was open to me to take on the challenge whether it be a promotion or special project. It wasn’t a specific timeline based on how long I had been here but instead what I was capable of.
- What goals would you like to reach for the next five years at Tidwell Group?
Assisting the firm in growing larger, bringing on talented staff and helping staff achieve their personal goals for their career development.
- What piece of advice would you give a new employee or an intern that is just starting out in their career?
Always be open to challenges and learn as much as you can. The opportunities are endless here.
- List three fun facts about yourself:
1. I have two kids: 1 boy and 1 girl.
2. I am a huge baseball fan, but don’t have a favorite team.
3. I have my undergrad degree from UAB but only went to school there for two semesters. I did majority of my undergrad at the University of South Alabama.