People Behind the Numbers
Dex Carlisle – Senior Tax Associate
We would like to introduce the Affordable Housing industry to Dex Carlisle, located at Tidwell Group’s Birmingham corporate office. Dex has been with Tidwell Group for more than four years now and has worked his way up from an intern to a Senior Tax Associate.
Dex has continued to show integrity with his impressive work eithic through his commitment to serving his clients along with his dedication to Tidwell Group recruiting efforts,” says Joel McDowell, Birmingham Office Managing Partner. “He’s proven to be an emerging leader in the Birmingham office and we are fortunate to have him as part of our growing team!”
We invite you to hear Dex’s story and what has helped shape his career development at Tidwell Group.
- Why did you first choose to work at Tidwell Group?
When I interned here at Tidwell Group, I really enjoyed the teamwork atmosphere and flexibility of the firm. There was also a big opportunity for professional and career growth.
- What aspect of your job do you enjoy the most?
I enjoy being able to be challenged and learning something new each day. Also, I like the work-life balance of the firm and being able to guide new staff to help them succeed daily.
- What is the toughest accountant problem you’ve tackled? How did you handle it?
It would definitely have to be working on a partnership tax return that involved a sale for one of our clients earlier in my accounting career. I was able to complete this task with research and the help of the manager/partner’s expertise on this subject.
- What is one accomplishment at work that you are most proud of?
I know I mentioned this earlier but one of my biggest accomplishments is being able to successfully mentor interns and staff throughout the busy season. It is very rewarding to see the progress from start to finish.
- How has Tidwell Group helped in your career development?
The leadership here at Tidwell Group has definitely helped me become a better accountant by putting me in certain situations that challenged me and allowed me to grow professionally. I’m able to pass this knowledge and expertise onto others throughout the firm.
- What goals would you like to reach for the next five years at Tidwell Group?
One of my goals is to continue to help lead and develop my peers because they are the future of the firm. I also plan to study and sit for the CPA exam to expand my knowledge that will lead to professional and career growth during subsequent opportunities at Tidwell Group.
- What piece of advice would you give a new employee or an intern just starting?
Ask as many questions as possible and take good notes. Give your best effort every day and apply your training to future tasks and you will succeed.
- List three fun facts about yourself:
- I grew up playing sports, so I’m always up to watch any sporting event.
- I enjoy playing video games when I get some downtime.
- I joined the United States Army Reserve in July of 2011.